In May 2015, European research ministers agreed to forge ahead with an ambitious project to develop a “science cloud” – an online resource interlinking scientific data, results, and researchers across the EU. The need is clear: The more data-intensive science becomes, the more important it becomes to share that data more efficiently – and that requires new networking and software tools. But how will this happen? At what cost? Who will use it – and, Internet companies ask, who will help build and run it? How can it be made safe from hacking or privacy invasion?
These are among the questions that this Science|Business Network event will examine with experts on the topic from academia, industry and the policy world.
10:00 - Welcome by Richard L. Hudson, Editor-in-Chief and Vice Chair of the Board, Science|Business
10:05 - What is the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC)?
- Jean-Claude Burgelman, Head of Unit, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission
- Barend Mons, Chair of the High-Level Group on the EOSC
- Augusto Burgueno-Arjona, Head of Unit, DG CONNECT, European Commission
10:30 - How open can it be? International, industrial and other participants
- Tiziana Ferrari, Technical Director, EGI.eu
- Giorgio Rossi, Chair, European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI)
- Bernie Fanaroff, Former Director, SKA South Africa
- Andreas Ebert, National Tech Officer, Microsoft
- Brendan Bouffler, Head of Global Scientific Computing Market Development Business, Amazon Web Services
11:00 - Break
11:50 - Who can use it, and for what? Engaging the user communities
- Eckhard Elsen, Director for Research and Computing, CERN
- Juan Bicarregui, Head of Data Division, Scientific Computing Department, Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
- Francoise Genova, Senior Researcher, Strasbourg Astronomical Data Centre CDS; Co-Chair, Technical Advisory Board, Research Data Alliance
- Wouter Los, Director of the Zoological Museum Institute for Systematics and Population Biology, University of Amsterdam
- Peter Wittenburg, RDA Europe Director, Max Planck Computing and Data Facility
13:00 Networking lunch