How can we shape a better Europe? That question has come into sharp focus – with Brexit, Catalonia, populism, migration, inequality, and other factors all challenging how people think about Europe. This event will debate how frontier research – in the social sciences and humanities – can help us understand and resolve these new social and political strains, and help shape how Europeans see themselves and their future together. Focus will be put on cities, democracy and migration.
This (by invitation only) event is organised by Science|Business in collaboration with the European Research Council (ERC), in the frame of ERC=Science², an EU-funded campaign aiming to promote the research funded by the ERC.
16:45 - Registration
17:15 - Welcome by Maryline Fiaschi, Coordinator of ERC=Science² and Jean-Pierre Bourguignon, President of the European Research Council
17:25 - The role of SSH research: Presentations by ERC grantees followed by a discussion with the audience.
- Maarten van Ham, Professor, Urban Renewal, Delft University of Technology; urban inequalities
- Margarida Calafate Ribeiro, Senior Researcher, University of Coimbra; post-colonial memory
- Valentina Vadi, Professor, International Economic Law, Lancaster University; cultural heritage
- Alexandros Kioupkiolis, Assistant Professor, Political Theory, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki; democracy and social integration
- Co-moderated by Maryline Fiaschi, Coordinator, ERC=Science² and Angela Schindler-Daniels, Director, Bonn Office, European Liaison Office of the German Research Organisations (KoWi)
18:15 - How breakthrough science can improve the security, cultural exchanges and fairness of society in Europe. Is Europe investing enough in SSH?
A panel discussion with:
- Jean-Pierre Bourguignon, President, European Research Council
- Clare Moody, Member, European Parliament
- Barbara Weitgruber, Director General, Austrian Federal Ministry for Education, Science and Research
- Claire Foulquier-Gazagnes, Policy Manager, Google Arts and Culture
- Jan Palmowski, Secretary General, The Guild of European Research Intensive Universities
19:15 - Networking cocktail
For more information, please contact Natalia Grzomba at firstname.lastname@example.org