A private Science|Business Network workshop (12:00 – 17:30 CET)
Now and throughout 2023, the European Commission is making its big, periodic push to revise its long-term research and innovation (R&I) agenda, as implemented in the €95.5 billion Horizon Europe programme. It does so against the backdrop of a series of shockwaves which have buffeted the continent – from COVID, heatwaves and drought to energy and food supply disruption caused by the Ukraine war – and which have underlined both the importance and fragility of Europe’s ambitions for sustainable development, climate neutrality, inclusive growth and more.
In September 2022, the Commission opened public comment on what priorities it should target in the second half of Horizon (running from 2025 to 2027), and how stakeholders feel its first phase has gone so far. The result will be a new Strategic Plan for the remainder of Horizon Europe. It will also feed into preliminary planning for the next Framework Programme, which should launch in early 2028.
The Science|Business Annual Network Conference will dedicate its first day, February 6, to gathering its members’ opinions on the above through a number of in-person workshops and town hall-style debates. Very short summaries of their conclusions will be shared at the plenary conference the next day, but also underpin a Science|Business white paper for publication in Spring 2023 – in time for the Commission’s own stakeholder conference. NB: The outcomes of these workshops will feed into the five broad themes on which the Commission is seeking input:
- Excellent science, covering European Research Council, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, research infrastructures, Widening and the European Research Area; including relevant partnerships
- Green transition, covering ‘Climate, energy and mobility’ and ‘Food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture and environment’; including relevant partnerships and missions
- Digital and industrial transition, covering ‘Digital, industry and space’, including relevant partnerships
- Resilient Europe, covering ‘Health’, ‘Culture, creativity and inclusive society’ and ‘Civil security for society’, including relevant partnerships and missions
- Innovative Europe, covering Innovation European ecosystems, European Innovation Council, European Institute of Innovation and Technology, including relevant partnerships