Vacancy Notice No: SS/19/05
Position and Grade: Scientific Director (D1 – Step I)
Duty Station: Allan, Jordan
Issue Date: July 9th, 2019
Type/Duration of Appointment: Fixed term, 4 years’ appointment (Full time, subject to a probationary period of 1 year) with the possibility of one renewal of 4 years
Date for entry on duty: January 1 st, 2020
Application Deadline: October 1st, 2019 or until a suitable candidate is found
The Synchrotron-light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East (SESAME) has been established in Jordan, under the auspices of UNESCO. Its mission is to promote international collaboration in the Middle East and the Mediterranean region using synchrotron light for basic and applied research in physics, chemistry, biology, materials science, environmental and medical investigations, archaeological studies and other research areas of relevance to the region. The centerpiece of SESAME is an advanced 2.5 GeV synchrotron light source that has been constructed and is operated by the Members of SESAME with the support of the international community. SESAME is an international scientific and technological center of excellence open to all qualified scientists worldwide. Two beamlines (XAFS/XRF and IR) are currently in operation and open to external users, a third will start operation by December 2019 and two more beamlines (for X-ray tomography and soft X-ray spectroscopy) are under construction.
Under the supervision of the Director of SESAME, and with account taken of the recommendations of the SESAME Scientific Advisory Committee, the incumbent will provide leadership and management of the Scientific Sector of SESAME. In particular, the Scientific Director will:
- Direct the design, planning and development of the science programme of SESAME and ensure its efficient implementation.
- Reach out to the SESAME user community, identify its needs and provide leadership for the formulation of policies to actively engage users’ participation in the development and implementation of the SESAME science programme.
- Recruit the additional scientists and specialized staff required to achieve the timely development and operation of the SESAME beamlines, and to design, plan and develop the SESAME science programme.
- Ensure, in cooperation with the Technical and Administrative Directors, coordinated actions required for the execution and development of the SESAME science programme.
- Oversee the organization of SESAME science conferences, symposia, workshops, meetings and training courses, as well as meetings of the Centre’s science committees and advisory groups; prepare reports on the science activity of SESAME, including those to the SESAME Council.
- Participate as a member of the Directorate in formulating policy and developing innovative approaches and strategies to strengthen the efficiency and effectiveness of SESAME programmes.
- Act as focal point for contacts with representatives of the Members of SESAME, donors, international organizations and laboratories for the mobilization of resources for, and development of, SESAME’s programme in science.
- Supervise and evaluate the activity of the staff of the Scientific Sector and that of consultants/experts in the Sector.
- Carry out any other activities entrusted to him/her by the Director.
Education and Experience
- Outstanding senior scientist with an advanced university degree at the doctorate level in physics, engineering, materials science, chemistry or a related field of science
- Fifteen years' relevant experience (supported by a record of publications), including evidence of significant experience in managing large science and technology programmes, preferably mainly in synchrotron radiation and its applications, or closely related fields.
- Demonstrated experience in the technical formulation and implementation of international science and technology cooperative projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment, and lead a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills and ability to represent an international center effectively.
- Strong scientific leadership skills and the ability to formulate technicallysound and well-written programmes and projects relevant to SESAME’s mission in science.
- In-depth knowledge and demonstrated managerial skills and experience in synchrotron radiation and its applications, or closely related fields.
- Experience in the use and management of IT resources for science applications.
- Excellent oral and written command of English.
Appointment is made by the SESAME Council. Normally, the Scientific Director is hired at D1 – Step I level.
How to apply
A motivation letter and detailed C.V. in English should be addressed to the SESAME Director at Director@sesame.org.jo with a copy to the Administrative Director at Admin.Director@sesame.org.jo. Candidates from SESAME Members with equal qualification will be given preference. The application would need to include the name of three referees and their respective contact details.
For further Information
Consult the SESAME web site: www.sesame.org.jo