A session in the framework of the Second EOSC Stakeholders Forum, moderated and supported by the Science|Business Cloud Consultation Group
As an integral part of the EOSC Pilot project final Stakeholders Forum (SF) event organised in Austria in November 2018, a workshop that captures the spirit of how the “business model innovations could work through EOSC-related usage” would be both timely & critical at this stage of the launch of the EOSC implementation roadmap and which leans towards the need of guidance and support from funding agencies and Member State intervention.
In the past twelve months, and since the previous SF edition, the “EOSC-intense community” has gathered relevant and substantial information from policy and project-oriented sources that it should draw upon to put together a stimulating programme with thought-provoking discussions of different stakeholders, such as Scientists, Developer Scientists, Service Developers, Service Providers, Infrastructure Service Providers, EOSC Managers. Different sources of information and subsequent results and guidelines should be drawn upon to ensure the “industry-related” session is both inclusive, involving all relevant EOSC players that also involve service providers engaged with the major research infrastructures.
As highlighted in the recent report by the European investment Bank published in July 2018 on Financing the future of supercomputing acknowledges needs of action for EOSC for private industry suggesting that the business model of the EOSC needs to be structured around data, not primarily infrastructure. The unique selling point of the EOSC is the magnitude of data in the context of the convergence of HPC, Big Data & Machine Learning. Moreover, demonstrative use cases and data security are key success factors. The EOSC will be an incentive for private users if there are commercially viable fields of application that are highlighted in its usage. Similarly, security certification would also be a necessary topic to engage private users.
- 14:00 - 14:10 Welcome & introduction from the Chair, David Pringle, Senior Advisor, Science|Business
- 14:10 - 14:20 Considerations of various business models provided by the Science cloud group reports of Science Business, David Pringle, Senior Advisor, Science|Business
- 14:20 - 14:30 Funding and payment models suggested by the EOSC High Level Expert Group, Mrs Isabel Campos, Senior Researcher at the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), Member of the EOSC HLEG (Isabel Campos)
- 14:30 -15:15 Panel Discussion #1 on Various Practical Adoption of Potential Funding Models in Operational Scenarios
- 15:15 - 15:45 Panel Discussion #2 " What industry thinks about EOSC?"
- 15:45 - 16:00 Conclusions & wrap-up
For more information and registrations, please visit the event website.